November 13, 2012 by Meg G.
I (Heather here!) love granola. Well, I love some granola. Inspired by our friend Anne, I have decided to start making my own.
It is possible that it takes me less time to make my own than it does to stare at the various kinds of granola at the store, convincing myself that the ingredients are good enough.
(They are never good enough.) Now I can add whatever I want. What do I want? Chocolate. And ginger. (Always.) And cranberries, I guess. But add whatever you want!
I started with a recipe for Cranberry-Ginger Granola from Tea & Cookies. I feel like you could use the oats base for any kind of granola you can dream up. Here is my adaptation (of her adaptation).
- 3 cups rolled oats (not instant)
- 1/4 c slivered almonds
- 1/2 t salt
- 1 T vanilla extract
- 1/4 c olive oil
- 1/4 c maple syrup
- An appropriate ratio of dried cranberries, candied ginger, and chocolate chips (or mix-ins of your choice)
1. Preheat oven to 325F
2. In a large bowl, combine the oats, almonds, and salt.
3. In a small bowl, mix the vanilla extract, olive oil, and maple syrup.
4. Pour the liquid ingredients over the dry ingredients and mix well.
5. Spread granola mixture onto a large cookie sheet. (I lined mine with parchment paper, per the recommendation from Tea & Cookies.)
6. Bake for 30-45 minutes, until golden brown, stirring occasionally.
7. Remove from oven and allow to cool on the baking sheet. Fold in the chopped, dried fruit (e.g. ginger and cranberries) as the granola cools.
8. Once the granola is totally cool, add chocolate chips. Otherwise, it melts into the granola. That’s not so tragic, but I prefer my chocolate chips intact.
I usually just eat it by itself as the perfect mid-morning snack. Thanks for the inspiration, Anne!
YUM…I will be making this! I have a board on pinterest dedicated to my study! 😉 I like your combination and love Anne too so between you and her this should be amazing and maybe our favorite!!!
I just started following your granola board on Pinterest! Hooray!
oh no…now i’ll be self conscious! ha! hope you enjoy my struggles and finds!