(Almost) Vegan Banana Bread3
November 18, 2012 by Meg G.
I like to brag about my “award-winning banana bread.” A few years back, a few of us had a banana bread bake-off that involved blind taste tests – and I won. Fair. And. Square. (And I never let my friend Marisa forget it.)
The ingredients in this recipe are oceans away from the award-winning recipe (which has finally been revealed), but it’s almost as delicious. I made it because this morning I woke up famished, but without any milk or eggs in the house. As I searched the kitchen for something better than toast, I found three brown bananas hanging out in the freezer. Bingo!
Next, I went in search of a recipe that would meet my ingredient requirements and landed on this one from Cheap & Simple Vegan recipes. I made several tweaks, including substituting real butter for vegan butter – which is why it’s *almost* vegan. Here’s my version. (I was too hungry to take pictures during the process. Sorry!)
- 3 very ripe bananas
- 1.5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup butter, melted (you can use vegan butter here)
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a loaf pan and set aside.
- Beat bananas in your standing mixer (or mash by hand). Add melted butter until combined.
- Add applesauce, vanilla, sugar, and salt and mix to combine.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, and cinnamon.
- Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Pour into a loaf pan and bake for about 55 minutes.
This was surprisingly similar to my very non-vegan award-winning recipe! It was moist, with a crispy outer crust (which is how we prefer it) and a sweet banana flavor. If you don’t love a crispy top, you can take the the advice of Mara (of Cheap & Simple Vegan Recipes) and cover your bread with tin foil after 15 minutes of baking.
[…] transform your typical cake-y bread into a dense, sweet, and moist loaf of banana deliciousness. I promised you this recipe almost two years ago. Better late than never, so here […]
And thankfully there was the infamous “Guac-off” where I could claim victory…but who is keeping score anyway 😉
Hahaha – good one, MP! 😉